It is the policy of Abt JTA to conduct its business activities in such a way as to demonstrate responsible environmental leadership across all aspects and jurisdictions of its operations. Abt JTA is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace, protecting the environment and conserving energy and natural resources.
The dedication and co-operation of each and every employee, adviser and contractor from every level of the organisation is essential to ensuring that this policy is fully implemented and realised.
In order to support this policy, where work environments are under the control and management of Abt JTA, the organisation will:
- Consider the environmental impact of its operations and take appropriate steps to minimise or prevent environmental pollution from all sources.
- Conduct its operations in a manner that is designed to minimise the impact on the environment and the people who live and work in that environment.
- Provide a safe and healthy workplace and ensure that personnel are properly trained and are equipped with the appropriate safety and emergency equipment.
- Establish procedures to ensure that all employees, advisers and contractors are knowledgeable of, and understand and comply with, all applicable environmental laws and regulations.
- Involve employees, advisers and contractors in matters of environmental management, and consult with them to develop strategies to reduce the organisation’s environmental impact.
- Be an environmentally responsible neighbour in the communities in which we operate, and correct incidents or conditions that endanger health, safety or the environment.
- Conserve natural resources by adopting pollution prevention practices.
- Develop and improve operations and technologies to minimise waste and other pollution, minimise health and safety risks, and dispose of waste safely and responsibly.
- Ensure the responsible use of energy throughout our business, including conserving energy, improving energy efficiency, and giving preference to renewable energy sources where feasible.
- Participate in efforts to improve environmental protection and understanding.
- Strive to go beyond compliance in meeting relevant environmental laws and regulations and other applicable requirements.
- Promptly report all non-compliance issues in accordance with applicable governmental
reporting requirements, evaluate causes of non-compliance, and implement corrective actions.
- Maintain policy and procedures to ensure the periodic review of environmental compliance with all laws and regulations.
- Undertake risk planning to mitigate environmental risks posed to people who live and work in the environments wherein Abt JTA conducts its business, including a review of changes to work methods and practices.
- Commit to the continual improvement of its Environmental Management System (EMS) by establishing and reviewing environmental targets and objectives.
- Promptly correct any practice or condition not in compliance with this policy.
Employees, advisers and contractors, for their part, will be expected to:
- Become aware of and comply with all relevant legislation, regulations, statutory requirements, working procedures, codes of practice, industry standards, and client imposed requirements (and the like), and make adequate provisions of resources to meet these requirements.
- When operating outside of Australia, employees, advisers and contractors will acknowledge and operate under the conditions of the relevant jurisdiction or any other imposed requirements (eg: client specific), however where possible will also commit to upholding Australian legislation, regulations, statutory requirements, working procedures, codes of practice and industry standards (and the like).
- Participate in environmental management consultation sessions to assist the organisation to develop strategies to reduce its environmental impact.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Report and where possible, rectify environmental hazards (actual and potential) and participate in the analysis of environmental accidents.
- Demonstrate their responsibility for a duty and care towards themselves, their colleagues and members of the public.
It is important to recognise that no task is so important as to compromise the health and safety of an individual, or to overlook the environmental impact of Abt JTA’s work on the community, and that appropriate consideration must be given to determining a safe, healthy and environmentally friendly work method for each and every activity undertaken.